Thursday, May 21, 2020

TOUGH DAY, RODGE?

or, Things I No Longer Care About.  While I'm not some reflexive, stupid, Democrat billionaire-basher, I confess to getting more than a chuckle out of stories like this.

A pandemic season played in empty stadiums would be problematic for the NFL. About $5.5 billion of stadium revenue would be out the window, Forbes reports. That includes money lost in tickets, concessions, sponsors and parking and at team stores. Some franchises would suffer more than others. The Dallas Cowboys and the New England Patriots would lose more than half their usual take, based on 2018 figures, while the Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans and Cincinnati Bengals would be down about a third. The players would take a hit, too: 47% of football-related income is slated to go to them in the 2020 season under the collective bargaining agreement.

Tends to happen when your home town's second NFL team in the modern era leaves and the Shield lies through its teeth to you about it.

#BattleHawksForever

4 comments:

An MD Teacher said...

I'm much more concerned about baseball not coming back than football. While I'm a football fan, the NFL as an organization can disappear today and I'll be leading the cheering squad. The thing that strikes me is that everyone comes off as tone-deaf. Owners, players, sports "media", and even the politicians - how Cuomo and Newsom started pandering for those yummy athlete state income tax revenues.

RIP, XFL. I enjoyed it. Even rooted for the DC team, despite being a Philly fan in all the major sports.

Christopher Johnson said...

The Battle Hawks were huge here, basically selling out all their games. Biggest draw in the XFL. I seriously doubt that the Shield will ever come back here and they've pretty much ruined this market if they tried to.

But the STL does actually still have a football team, the Gladiators. If you can find it, check out something called the Simulation Football League. Only saw one of the Gladiator games. An outfit called Eleven Sports televises the SFL, which has a unique and interesting, um...difference.

An MD Teacher said...

I checked out the SFL - definitely an interesting concept. I don't know if I'd actually watch it, but I'd try to play in it if I had the time to do so. Makes me wish (briefly) I were 15-20 years younger than I am. Alas.

Katherine said...

I don't see why baseball can't be played. It's outside! The very aged and/or infirm can stay away, and the others could enjoy the sun and sport.