Sunday, August 11, 2019

TRENDING

Thanking God that you are not as other men are seems to be back in.

NFL players and Megan Rapinoe aren't the only American athletes protesting during the national anthem: Race Imboden, a US fencer and Olympic medalist, is in hot water with the United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee after taking a knee as the American flag was raised after he and his teammates won gold medals at the Pan-Am Games. "I am honored to represent Team USA at the Pan-Am Games," wrote Imboden. "My pride however has been cut short by the multiple shortcomings of the country I hold so dear to my heart. Racism, gun control, mistreatment of immigrants, and a president who spreads hate are at the top of a long list. I chose to sacrifice my moment today at the top of the podium to call attention to issues that I believe need to be addressed."

I don't need any special motivation to dislike the Olympics.  I haven't much cared for them since the '80 hockey win over the Soviet Union and I really detest that stupid "USA!! USA!!" chant that breaks out every time the US wins any sport at all.

But I hate ostentatious virtue-signaling way more.

Here's the passage from the Gospel of Luke if you're interested.

 Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.

You can make public displays like this but that's as far as they'll ever go and as much as they'll ever accomplish.  Or you can stand there, examine your own life and see what you need to personally fix.  You can decide that you're right and anyone who disagrees with you is evil or you can resolve to stop calling people racists simply because they have a different take on things.

Up to you.

No comments: