Tuesday, February 26, 2019

UNCALLED FOR

I've only been to Eugene once in my life.  In the early 70's, we went out there to visit my sister and her family.  One evening, I decided to take in a baseball game so I walked over to Eugene's ballpark, a short distance from my sister's house, and saw the Eugene Emeralds play.  At the time, the Emeralds played in the Pacific Coast League and were Philadelphia's top farm team.

If you've never seen a minor league baseball game, you owe it to yourself to go if you ever have the chance.  The dynamic is completely different than the big leagues.  It's a lot cheaper and you're going to be a lot closer to the action than you'll ever be able to afford in your average major league ball yard. 

Plus, stuff like this happens.  At one point in the game, I got hungry so I went and got myself a hamburger and a Coke.  When I got back to my seat, a fellow next to me informed me that a foul ball had just hit right where I was sitting.  "Son of a...," I thought to myself  before sitting down and starting in on my burger which turned out to be...

The.  Single.  Greatest.  Hamburger.  I.  Have.  Ever.  Eaten.  Anywhere.  And.  Which.  Has.  Never.  Been.  Bested.  From.  That.  Day.  To.  Right.  Now.

Positively orgasmic, that thing was.  It was perfectly cooked and it was gigantic; you needed two hands to hold it.  And I couldn't quite figure out exactly what kind of sauce it had on it except that I had never before or since tasted anything so glorious.

So back on off Eugene, Hemingway.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

It wasn't snowing, if it was baseball season. Plus, the whole left coast has gone nuts. Probably not the same any more.

Christopher Johnson said...

Maybe. But that was still a murderously good burger. :-)

The Little Myrmidon said...

People from RI and Southeastern MA have been able to see Triple A baseball at nearby McCoy Stadium, home of the Pawtucket Red Sox (or the PawSox as they're known) for decades. There's been some flap recently over RI's refusal to remodel/upgrade McCoy Stadium. So, the PawSox will become the WooSox, up in Worcester, MA in 2020 or 2021. Worcester's building a new stadium. Up in Portland, ME you can see the Portland Sea Dogs, which is the Double A team for the Sox.

But, yeah, you could get right up close to the action in some of these farm team games. There were some very good players, too.

Christopher Johnson said...

You sound like you're set up, Myrm. There are a couple of independent clubs around here. Just across the river in Sauget, there's the Gateway Grizzlies. And way out in O'Fallon, Missouri is where the River City Rascals (dear LORD, I hate that nickname) play. Seriously. I'm in favor of a US Constitutional amendment that states that any additional professional baseball team in the St. Louis area must be called the St. Louis Browns.