Monday, September 7, 2020

CALLING THEM HOME

One of the first memories of St. Louis professional sports I ever had was in 1964.  I was a little kid and dumber than a bag of hammers but I couldn't believe that my Cardinals traded one of their best pitchers, Ernie Broglio, to the Chicago Cubs for some guy called Lou Brock.

Hall of Famer Lou Brock, who died at age 81 at a local hospital Sunday afternoon after being in ill health, will be remembered for many accomplishments. He was the National League’s all-time leader in stolen bases with 938. He had 3,023 hits. He was a first-ballot electee into the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. He was the “Base Burglar,” who came to the Cardinals in 1964 via a trade in which the Cardinals ripped off the Chicago Cubs.

If I remember correctly, Broglio's career basically died after he left here while Brock became an institution in this town.  I'm going to miss you, Lou.

1 comment:

Frank (@txtradcatholic) said...

Oh, my. Thanks for passing this along. I'll never forget the way Brock energized the Cardinals after that trade, and obviously the remainder of his career was just as exciting. It was doubly painful for me in 1979, when I had just moved back to St. Louis to begin my legal career, to have to miss Lou's "Day" at Busch Stadium because of a death in the family.
RIP, Lou.