Wednesday, June 3, 2020

AMERICAN REVOLUTION II?

Could be.  Maybe not the one the Democrats hope for.
UPDATE: Notes from a failed northeastern US state.
 
Then there will be more looting, more burning, more victims — and an ever-escalating sense that the city is incapable of preserving the public peace and that it lacks the courage even to try.
 
Let’s be frank: The notion that the actions of four cops in Minnesota on Memorial Day in any way justifies the continued fracturing of New York City’s social order 10 days later is nonsense on its face.

And the willingness of Mayor de Blasio and Gov. Cuomo to tolerate what has been happening in New York since last Friday — violence is rampant upstate as well — is scandalous beyond words.

For the two of them, it’s always been better to do nothing than to alienate an interest group — but effectively accelerating municipal mayhem through studied inaction is something altogether new.

UPDATE: Yeah, pretty much.

As the blue cities burn, as the blue mayors of those cities tell their police to stand down in the face of violent mobs, and blue city police, realizing that their blue supervisors and blue elected officials do not have their backs and that they may lose their jobs if they so much as move one micro millimeter beyond what some ex post facto internal affairs investigation will determine is correct, decide to not stick around to be sacrificed on some grandstanding blue politician's altar.

And once the anarchists figure out (which they will, quickly) that the police aren't going to do anything, it's party time. Which will result in a certain percentage of business owners closing down permanently and moving elsewhere. This is what happened after the Watts Riots in 1965 and the 1992 'Rodney King' Los Angeles Riots. The 1967 Detroit Riots resulted in 43 killed, 1,000 injured, 2,000 buildings destroyed, and 400 families left homeless. In each case, the neighborhoods became more impoverished and never did fully recover.

UPDATE: Thinking of coming to St. Louis, Missouri any time soon?  You might want to...oh, I don't know...not.  St. Louis City and St. Louis County are two totally different legal entities so that's still working for you.  But while I own knives, I am seriously considering buying a gun.

First time in my life.

UPDATE:  Maybe I'll buy one with the stim check.  Assuming I get one; haven't seen it yet.  But at least Charming Billy will be happy. :-)

CONFIRMED: Kimmy's bought and paid for.

11 comments:

Katherine said...

I saw a comment on another blog written by a woman who lives in the Detroit area. She said the houses in central Minneapolis, seen on TV, looked like the were similar age to the rotting, deserted houses in Detroit. Now, Minneapolis is well-cared-for. In twenty years, she says, it will look like Detroit.

I don't much care for central Raleigh, NC. It's declining now, and with the inaction of its left-wing mayor and police force, that's only going to get worse.

Christopher Johnson said...

Same here. I don't know if St. Louis is going to turn out like that but I'll probably be dead well before it does. And I kind of, basically, don't care.

Sad really.

An MD Teacher said...

You won't regret it. Better safe than sorry.

What are Missouri's laws like with regard to ownership/carry/etc.?

Katherine said...

I saw that about Gardner releasing people arrested in St. Louis City. Just like New York. With similar results, probably.

Elaine S. said...

I'm thinking about getting a firearm too -- there haven't been any serious disturbances in my neck of the woods, but who knows what will happen in the future. Problem is that in IL you have to jump through a lot of hoops ... FOID card, 16 hours of concealed carry training (if you're a newbie), plus the cost of the firearm, etc. Still wouldn't mind moving to MO, since it's the closest place that is not IL... is it still safe outside STL and KC?

Christopher Johnson said...

For the most part. I don't get around much but I haven't had any trouble here in Shrewsbury, just across the border from St. Louis. As for gun laws, I think they're pretty loose in this state. If I remember correctly, Missouri went "constitutional carry" several years back. Not sure exactly what that means but it's not that hard to get a gun.

The Little Myrmidon said...

My husband and I have been thinking off getting our CCPs.

An MD Teacher said...

That's not bad. Here in MD, it is oppressive - no AR's allowed (we have an "assault weapons" ban - based entirely on cosmetic features), limited magazine capacity, CCP is "may issue", and to even buy a handgun, there are numerous hoops to jump through and red tape to cut.

I wonder why I stay sometimes.

Dale Matson said...

I've had a CCW permit in CA for 12 years. I have to renew it every 2 years and go through re-qualifying each time. Think long and hard about getting one. Mine is for dangerous animals when backpacking. Not so sure I would use it on a human. At one time, I would not have hesitated but at age 75 I'm not so sure. CA requires that all guns are kept in a locked safe. If someone steals your gun and commits a crime with it, you could be charged with a felony.

Katherine said...

My dad bought a hand gun in 1968 when the riots were on. He didn't tell us; I found out when he was dying, looking through his things. These times remind me so much of that time. We have a 20-gauge shotgun, which I know how to use, and my husband has a Ruger. A church friend in central Raleigh has a CCP and plenty of training; former National Guard officer. Anyone breaking into his house would be making a mistake.

Christopher Johnson said...

That's scary, Katherine. You find out so many things you had no idea of when your family members die. Pop didn't own a gun or anything but I found out something else about him and Momma that I didn't know.