Tuesday, November 26, 2019

END OF AN ERA

One of my last connections to the Episcopal Organization here in Missouri, Bishop George Wayne Smith, is retiring.  The Diocese of Missouri just elected his replacement.

The Episcopal Diocese of Missouri elected the Rev. Deon K. Johnson as its 11th diocesan bishop Nov. 23 at Christ Church Cathedral in St. Louis. He was elected on the first ballot during an election that involved 164 voting delegates. He received 71 votes from lay delegates and 42 votes from clergy.

If you bet on the black homosexual, don't spend all of your massive winnings in one place.

A veteran Episcopal priest with deep experience in social justice issues and ministry to gay and lesbian communities, Johnson, who lives in Michigan with his husband and two children, has been rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Brighton, MI, since 2006.

“I am overwhelmed with joy, humility, and gratitude,” said Bishop-elect Johnson from his home in Michigan to the people of the Diocese of Missouri. “The Holy Spirit has brought us to this day, for such a time as this. I am looking forward to walking with you as we share the liberating love of Jesus. My husband and our family are looking forward to being with you in the new year.”

5 comments:

Katherine said...

It's almost as if being a minority, plus gay, is a requirement. And I hesitate to ask how he and his husband came to have two children.

Christopher Johnson said...

More or less, Missouri Episcopalians have always been this radical. They basically were when I was still there and I remember when the storm hit on '03, there was only one parish here that bailed. I guess this is where all the Show-Me State uber-Piskielibs end up.

Bill M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill M said...

I know some of you are more used to it than sheltered little ol' me, but reading that "my husband" stuff still jangles my nerves.

Christopher Johnson said...

Doesn't do me any good either, Bill, but as far as the Anglicans are concerned, it just doesn't matter that much any more. Those people can say anything they want.