Sunday, May 24, 2020

(PLEASE DON'T) SHOW ME

Quick Missouri travel tip: when traveling in this state, one place I make it a point to avoid is the Lake of the Ozarks.  It's a "recreation area," touristy as all hell, and there's really not all that much there.  You can pop over to Springfield real fast and see the Wilson's Creek Civil War battlefield.  But otherwise it's Branson, if you think Vegas would be better without gambling, or the Lake itself, if you get some kind of weird kick out of wading through a sea of obnoxious drunks.

And believe me, some of the most unpleasant people in the world are Missouri drunks.

Anyhoo, the Lake of the Ozarks was trending on Twitter for a while.  Turns out that this was going on and the usual suspects pretended to be horrified.












S. E.?  Kitten?  A bunch of people were outside in the sun and enjoying a swimming pool.  Insofar as you get checks from CNN, and insofar as this happened the other day, kindly keep your fake outrage to yourself because no sentient human being gives a crap.

8 comments:

Katherine said...

This isn't polio. It's a coronavirus, which doesn't easily spread outdoors, and which is quickly killed by sunlight.

An MD Teacher said...

I still have friends who are deathly afraid to go outside. Never mind they are all under 40 and are statistically more likely to be struck by lightning than die of the WuFlu.

And yes, they are all libs...

Katherine said...

Mollie Hemingway recently tweeted that some people are afflicted with "a crippling fear of death." This describes your friends, MD Teacher.

Christopher Johnson said...

I think there's a lot to that, Katherine. And a WHOLE lot of people who share it. I think that's what's driving a lot of this, if not most of it.

An MD Teacher said...

No doubt, whatsoever. I was trying to make that point to anyone who would listen to me two months ago, that society was willing to commit suicide...for fear of death. I'm sure you can appreciate the irony.

Of course, WuFlu Fear-mongering is now its own substitute religion - complete with prophets (Fauci), scripture ("guidelines"), and even a priesthood and indulgences. Sacrifice is demanded, to appease the god "safety" and to cast out the demon "liberty" .

Christopher Johnson said...

And a whole lot of "heretics" who realize that something's going to get you eventually. ;-)

Katherine said...

Mollie's comment was in response to Steven Pinker's idiotic now-deleted tweet: "Belief in an afterlife is a malignant delusion, since it devalues actual lives and discourages action that would make them longer, safer, and happier. Exhibit A: What’s really behind Republicans wanting a swift reopening? Evangelicals."

Mollie is a conservative Christian (Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod), and her tweet specifically pointed out that secularists lack faith in God which makes them subject to this "crippling fear of death." I think she's right. I'm in my seventies and I'm taking reasonable precautions to avoid getting the virus, but I am not going to stop living because I fear death.

And of course Pinker's tweet was especially stupid in light of the Samaritan's Purse evangelical Christians who willingly went into plague-ridden New York to minister to the sick.

An MD Teacher said...

I saw that tweet. Mollie is one of my favorite follows.

It's the same crippling fear of death that made pagan Romans wonder why the early Christians sang joyfully as the beasts were set upon them in the arena. More things change, and all that...

God bless you, Katherine - I wish I saw more of that attitude in my neck of the woods.